Thursday, January 16, 2014



Last night I lost one of my nine lives. My day had gone so well. We left Emerald Cove in Parker, Arizona for some solitary time boon docking in the desert in Quartzite, Az. Judy was torn between spending time with her friends Julie and her cousin Chris and the challenge of boon docking. “After all,” she told me, “I paid good money for the solar panels.”  The choice for me was not as difficult. Saying good bye to Kona and Rocky was a little sad but now they have two more Pomeranian friends. Really? Four dogs? I’ll take the desert in July.

The farewell  wasn’t a “I won’t see you for a long time good bye.” No, no, no. The parting  was "I’ll see you in a couple of days" at Hasslers RV Park in beautiful downtown Quartzite. The campground is one of Judy's favorite parks in the little town with over a thousand to choose from because of the sculptures through out the property.. Check out some of the sculptures.


We  picked an empty spot in the desert. We aren’t alone but the closest RVs are far enough apart to experience the solitude. Judy showed me the full moon before the sun went down and then I took my favorite place on the dash to watch the night creatures move in the moonlight.

I must have stepped wrong when I thought I saw a coyote creeping past our rig. I've over heard the stories.  I moved fast,  but the wrong way, and went crashing past the steering wheel to the floor. Only my back feet landed. I hung suspended by my harness on a lever sticking out from the steering wheel.

I hung there awhile and decided if I twisted this way and that I could get free. My actions only tightened the harness around my neck. Now it was getting difficult to breathe.

I managed a small meow although Judy was already searching for me because she had heard me fall. I squeaked out another meow and she found me.

“Oh dear” she said. “I’ll get you loose you silly cat” I felt her fingers release the clasp but nothing happened. I panicked and started to squirm but now I was choking!

“Hold on Sportster!” I heard it in her voice. She was  crying as her fingers fumbled trying to get the harness unwrapped from the lever. I gagged again.

“Hold still. I’ll get the scissors!” She left me hanging. "I’m choking!" Thank the cat gods we don’t have a forty foot motor home.

I felt her hands trembling. I was dizzy.  I didn’t care if she accidently cut me too. I felt the sweet release as the scissors sliced through the nylon tight around my throat and  I jumped into her arms.

“Oh, you poor little guy!” She kissed me all over and rubbed my neck that felt numb. ”You’re okay now.” I wasn’t putting on any airs this time. I soaked it all up until I stopped shaking.

We lay on the bed together. I purred and she petted me until she stopped shaking too.

I love my Mom. She’s my hero.



  1. Great blog story! Loved it!

    Best, Dotty

  2. Oh I know the feeling when you are desperately trying to help your pet! So glad it turned out well...

  3. Hi Sportster! We are very pleased to meet you!! We sure are glad your Mom rescued you!
    We will be back to visit you and your Mom!! Want to meet some cool Cat Bloggers?
    Check out the Cat Blogosphere! You'll find lots of interesting Cat Bloggers. Here is the link
    Have a wonderful day!